Go to content Go to navigation Go to search

A Nation of Wimps...Again?

1/06/2005

I think I posted this before, but this post made me think of it again. That and the fact that Hayden broke his elbow at basketball practice tonight, and horror of horrors, I wasn't there. Who made the rule that parents had to sit in on all of the practices? I played soccer for three years, my parents went to two GAMES. Practice? Ride your bike kid.

I was talking to the woman next door the other day and she said all the parents were there because the coach wasn't a babysitter and shouldn't have to discipline someone else's kids. Riiiight. Well she is right about something, I find out the coach had to discipline MY kid, and my kid is going to be disciplined like no kid has ever been disciplined before.

I'll probably end up going to prison for buying Hayden the birthday present I'm going to buy him, a nice BB gun. But I don't care, I just bought a house with a two acre lot, that has woods, a tree house and a creek. I've got four boys now and they need to tear it up. They need room to roam. They've been cooped up in this subdivision for over a year now and everyone is going a little stir crazy.

I argue about this with a lot of people. Some people can't understand why I would want to move back to Madison. Those are the people who don't understand why I moved over here to begin with. I moved here because here was supposed to be "just like Madison" only 25 miles closer to work. That ended up being half right, it's 25 miles closer to work. But there's only one road to work, the interstate, and if it's backed up you're done. It takes me between an hour and an hour and a half to get home from work every night. That's 25 miles. All highway. I used to time myself door to door when I lived in Madison, shortest time? 55 minutes, longest, hour and a half, if I had to go through Scottsburg. That's a 55 mile drive, driveway to parking garage.

As far as the rest of it, well, these two towns aren't anything alike. The only thing about this town that I actually like is the church. Although the train thing is pretty cool. There's no place to get fresh produce besides Kroger or Wal-Mart, if you need something else, you're driving to the Summit, a big box mall 10 miles away. Madison is self contained, there's a Lowes now, and more coming, it has the largest historic district in America and a Catholic high school. Besides, I've got the time zone thing working for me there, I leave work at five, I get home at five. Can you beat that?

We made tons of freinds in our five years there, and even though we've made some good freinds here in the past year and a half , we're just not comfortable here, something's wrong. I can't explain it, but there's a feeling of not-rightness. Kind of like the feeling you get when you're dating someone and you know it's not going to last. Well, I'm not going to force it, I'm leaving.

If you need me, I'll be
here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home