Go to content Go to navigation Go to search

Elive CD in VMWare

11/28/2006

WOW.

I decided to hold off on re-installing Fedora on my Toshiba until I got some more face time with Enlightenment, and I figured the easiest way to get that was to use the E-Live CD. But the CD in the old laptop is pretty beat and really slow, so I fired up VMware Workstation (5, if you must know) on my Dell 610 and ran the CD from a Vm session. It was cool, but still kinda slow, so I used the Elive installer to install Elive to the HDD.

I'm stoked on this distro folks. This is a Development version of E17, but it hasn't crashed or choked yet, and I figured that since I don't really know what I'm doing, I'd be the guy who could break it.

The install was seamless, even in VMware, although I did have a little problem when I was partitioning the drive.

Let me get a little off track here. I know that one of the things that gives Linux street cred is the fact that it's not easy to use. I understand that. I also understand that people, average non-geek people who are interested in a stable, fast, and intuitive operating system, might not want to spend several grand on a Mac, and definately don't want to spend the time figuring out what partition they want to boot from. In short, create a default installer for your Linux distro if you want to see more Linux on the desktop.

I'm not saying that I don't know how to partition my disk, what I'm saying is, that this part of the E-live install was the only part of the install that was unintuitive. I mean this product basically installed itself, but I didn't exactly know what to do when I was finished using the graphical partition tool. I really doubt that someone who just wanted to upgrade from Windows 2000 is going to figure it out as quick as I did. And don't say anything close to RTFM, you know and I know that Linux Man pages suck and are almost impossible for the average user to find, much less find in the middle of an install.

That's my only gripe. Really, even in this development version, all of the multimedia apps work. All of them. And did I mention that it's fast? 'cause it's fast. And pretty. Here's a screenshot:



So I'm stoked, and it's going on the Toshiba as soon as I can figure how to get iTunes loaded, or at least an open source iPod client. We shall see.

In other news, I am evidently a tile God. You may rise, humbly' and gaze upon the countenance of the Tile God, but you must not doubt Tile God, especially when it comes to cutting holes in the backsplash tile for the light switch. I am also a lesser order of under-cabinet lighting angel. Do not fear, we bring light and happiness to those who are sick of the shadow caused by the cabinet overhang.

I am not, however, anything but a poor sinner when it comes to Christmas decorations. And what that means, if you haven't already guessed, is that I have to get my fat ass back up on the ladder that I spent hours on over the weekend and re-attach all of the decorations that fell as soon as the sun came up Monday morning. It also proves that Christmans decorations should always be installed on the coldeest, wettest day possible, otherwise the ghost of Jacob Marley will evidently piss all over your house.

Now I must go because the electricians have tripped the breaker in the basement twice while I was typing this and they need a little help from the under-cabinet lighting angel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home