Go to content Go to navigation Go to search

Thanks for nothing

3/13/2009

OK, check this.

The Junior High here was locked down today and all of the students were moved to the High School gym. Scary stuff, but once I found out what was going on, I knew what it was about.

HOWEVER.

The Prince had his mobile phone with him. Somehow he managed to turn it on and to call the house phone. I was on a conference call for work and couldn't answer on the first ring, so he hung up. Almost immediately he called back, and cryptically, like he had accidentally dialed and was speaking to someone else, I heard him say, "They're moving us to the High School gym". Then the phone went dead.

I knew I wasn't going to be able call him back. So I turned on the local radio. Nothing. But there's never anything on that station, even in the middle of a tornado outbreak. So I tried the local newspaper website. Still nothing. So I called maddmom. She said she hadn't heard anything either. We eventually finagled a way to get information without letting on we thought something was going on.

Here's why.

We didn't feel like we should call the school and find out what was going on because a week ago, there had been a bomb threat at the High School and some of the kids had called their parents. When the parents called the school, the kids WERE SUSPENDED FOR USING THEIR CELL PHONES DURING SCHOOL HOURS. That's right, you get evacuated because of a bomb threat and if you call your parents, you get suspended.

So maddmom and I dithered for twenty minutes while an imaginary Columbine massacree played out in our heads because a frightened kid had called us to secretly let us know that the school was in lockdown.

I can see the headlines now, on FOX: HERO BOY WHO CALLED 911, EXPELLED FOR RULES INFRACTION. On MSNBC, TROUBLEMAKER USES CELL PHONE TO BULLY BULLIED KIDS WHO SNAPPED. On Nancy Grace: "BOY GUILTY OF MURDER BY COP. GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY! DID I MENTION IT WAS A BOY? AND THAT HE'S GUILTY? BECAUSE HE'S GUILTY AND A BOY. PLUS TOT MOM GETS A HAIRCUT.

PS, the Prince denies that he was frightened. Vehemently. Not. Frightened.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home