Go to content Go to navigation Go to search

It's Summertime and the livin' is easy...

7/20/2010

The older two boys are at Scout camp this week, the younger two are at VBS, I have finished my blackberry picking, the tomatoes are coming in, the zucchini is gigantic, the father-in-law has a tree full of peaches and I, maddad, have watermelon on the vine.

That's right, watermelon. I'm so psyched. I've done cantaloupe before but they all got eaten by deer. My watermelon are inside my fence, safe and sound. I'm excited because number one, I love watermelon, and two I didn't think I'd get any. In fact, I had to pollinate them by hand. Don't worry, I was wearing sunglasses and had a fake mustache on, no one knew it was me. Maddmom insisted that they wouldn't get enough sun and that the garden was bad soil and I was wasting my time. And I may be, seeing as we are going on vacation just when these things look to be ripe, but still...watermelon...yum.

I'm going to make jam out of my blackberries, hopefully tonight. These are completely organic wild blackberries, picked by hand and fertilized with nothing but deer shit. If I use raw sugar I should be able to sell this stuff for six bucks a pint. I'm going to have lots of pints, I have six gallons of blackberries in my freezer.

Some other news... lets see... Oh yeah, I'm fat as hell, just in time for vacation. I haven't been working out and I can feel it. I've been too tired. Travelling is getting harder, I'm leaving later in the day because I don't want to miss a whole day with the family and then I'm flying home at night instead of in the afternoon so I can get as much time on site without having to stay over an extra day. Of course this isn't working, I have to leave home before dinner anyway and then I don't get home until after midnight most of the time, and while I'm only gone for two days, I end up working until all hours to fit everything in and I'm just wiped out. So my schedule will have to change. If I travel, from now on I'm doing it my way. I'm too damn old to stay up until 2am then get up and work at 6 then fly home at 3 and get up and pretend I'm not tired. Plus, I end up eating dinner at midnight, which is just bad for you.

Enough of that.

When I bought my car the odometer read 68k, but the engine had been replaced at 48k because the previous owner had tore out the bottom on a concrete parking stop. So I'm just now coming up on my 100k service and I'm thinking of doing it myself. I guess I shouldn't, but I want to.

I replaced my motor and transmission mounts, got four new tires had my rotors turned and replaced my windshield wipers. I have all new plastic trim pieces on order to replace the broken bits on the outside of the car. I was planning on getting it detailed, the scratches buffed out and the black plastic dyed back to the original black. Yesterday the windshield broke while it was sitting in the driveway. Cracked right down the middle. No one was driving it, there was a little chip in one corner and I guess the heat got to it and... bang. So much for my detailing budget. Now I'll have to wait until after my 100k service. What-ev, as the kids say.

I read a horror story on the innertubes about flushing the tranny on my year volvo, but I think I should do it. Nervous about it. But since I can't get a new car... ever... I should just keep up with the maintenance.

Or... should I just clean it up and sell it and get a 1991 Grand Wagoneer? Now that I'm old I don't really have the need for speed anymore, right? (wrong) Family trucksters don't get any cooler than Wagoneers, and I can fix those... and I don't want some bland jellybean and wagons cost a lot of money nowadays, and I could use something with a trailer hitch...

Forget it. I'm done...need to take a pill and get back to work.
<-- AddThis Button BEGIN -->
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home