Go to content Go to navigation Go to search

Blogging in bed and browser problems

6/11/2011

but first, the big news... Obama has created or saved a job for maddmom. Of course he did it by killing off some old person, buy hey, a job saved is a job saved. maddmom was having a fit while I was out of the country, she thought that maybe she wouldn't do well in the interview, I disagreed. So she took my advice and wore her belly dancing outfit to the interview and called the guy "Master" and wiggled a lot and what do you know? She starts in two weeks.

In other news, I'm blogging from my old Windows 98 laptop that I installed Puppy Linux on about a year ago. I updated it a couple of months ago in the hope that I'd do more blogging if I had a computer upstairs in the bedroom, 'cause that's where all the funny stuff happens. But I was wrong.

Here's why. Firefox is too heavy and SeaMonkey takes too long to load. Opera was god for a bit, but now won't open, and unless I open the mobile version of most modern websites, I might as well shut down. Flash and images lock this sucker up good. Java? Please. Remember, this laptop is a Pentium 2 with 96 megs of RAM.

Email works, office works, better than the once new-fangled Office 97 that came installed on this thing. I can listen to music from my network, the speakers on this thing are really good, probably because it was built right before the heyday of Napster and everyone was using the CD-Rom drives in their computers to listen to music. When I ordered this thing for an engineer at work, the CD drive was an option. No network port, no modem, I had to order a PCMCIA modem (3Com 65k with dongle, WOOT!) that is still in the bay under my PCMCIA wireless card and god only knows how long it would take to load a modern website with that damn thing.

At any rate, what I need is a super-lightweight browser that pretends to be on a phone, so I can surf and post, and it has to work on linux and run on really, really weak hardware, like weaker than my Blackberry.

Doesn't matter, I've officially been "on the computer too long" and it's Saturday, so I have to fix things and follow the kids around.



Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home