Go to content Go to navigation Go to search

You'll hear more and more on this...

9/06/2012

Mike Rowe, Adam Corolla, maddad... a lot of people are seeing the traditional view of work move from "work" to well... something less. I can't say that I do a dirty job, though I have done unskilled labor for money when I needed to. I do see the value in skilled labor. I see kids get pushed into college and the resultant debt because the traditional vo-tech concentration has been turned into a "pre-engineering" course. I see our rural High School cheer about its fucking DRAMA program, and not its metalworking shop. It took me three YEARS to get a plumber to come to my house and give me an estimate on work I needed. I am waiting on estimates from landscape contractors because they don't have the masons they need to re-build my retaining walls. Companies have been looking for places to relocate, but won't do it here, not because of transportation, but because of the lack of a trained workforce. Kids in school need to be taught how to work, how to do things, or they never will. A six week summer vacation is not enough time to earn college money or learn to keep a job. School activities that begin at 5pm do not give kids time to do both homework and earn some money. Gas prices at $4 per gallon make after-school jobs at minimum wage redundant. I could go on, but I just depressed myself. Don't send your kid willy-nilly off to college unless they have a reason, a good reason, why they want to go. To be a professional, to be a scientist, doctor, dentist, accountant, engineer, or actuary. If they want to do something else, send them to the army, get them an apprenticeship, or send them to community college, part time. They will thank you when they wake up at 30 without any school debt.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home