Go to content Go to navigation Go to search

Woman charged $787.33 for two-mile cab ride

3/21/2014

This sort of happened to me. I was charged $212 by a cab driver to go from Penn Station in Newark to the Courtyard Marriott in Elizabeth. That's less than ten miles. According to the con artist who took my money, it was policy to add a $35 surcharge for leaving the train station, then another $150 for "after hours" service. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I was working in New York city and there were no hotel rooms available for the days I needed to be there for any reasonable rate, so I was staying near the airport and taking the hotel shuttle to the PATH. Of course, I ended up working late, and the hotel shuttle stopped running, so I had to cab it. The first night, I almost got into a fight with the cabby because I only had $50 in cash, and he wanted $85. The next night I figured I'd get around that bullshit by using a credit card and BLAMMO! $212. I was lucky that I was able to expense that fare, and after bitching about the hassle, I was allowed to stay in the W in Manhattan for $800 a night. For one night, anyway.

What I'm saying here is that you should pay cash and argue with cabbies, never use let them use Square to run your card, or just give in and let them rub their nasty mustache on your taint.



Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home