Go to content Go to navigation Go to search

ouchie

4/20/2016

Get this women Marines still won't have to do pullups. This is chickenshit stuff. How are they supposed to get over walls in combat situations etc... etc... I don't really care, it's just an excuse to talk about my lack of pullup ability.

As recently as last June, I could do eleven natural grip or seven wide grip pullups starting wityh feet on the floor. I could do five in a row from a hang, and this was at my fattest, 230 lbs. By September, I was down to 205 and probably could have done more, but I didn't even try. Then I had my surgery. I tried to do pullups just the other day, but quickly realized that I can't even do one. Not one.

Granted, I'm fat again, 210. But 210 is my settling weight. It's where I always seem to end up if I'm working out at all. No, it's not the weight, it's the pain. Oh my God it hurts.

I had been doing some light weight work for rehab, and it's been long enough that I should be better. I can now bench... well... 100 lbs! without pain. But pain is a scary thing, and pullups make that pain. And I don't want to do pullups.

Pullups were always my thing. I know they are a relative weight thing, but I always considered them a good gauge of overall fitness. I mean I couldn't run or lift much as a kid, but I could do pullups and pushups all day. Of course, I was a skinny fuck, but still... Even after I got heavier I made sure I could do pullups. Now I'm a forty-five year old pudgy dude who can't do a single pullup, or even try without squealing like the hatchback on a chevy vega (monza wagon? whatever).

What about your overhead press? Said no one. Well, says maddad of his historical weak point, 75 lbs. No pain. On the right side. The left...

ouchie.

Also, can't get my average speed on the bike above 16 mph when I'm outside. I can do 24-25 on the rollers. Is it wind? Hills? dunno. Feels faster than it is. I don't really care since I don't do group rides, but I'm running out of excuses to not to, and I need to get my speed up.

I keep telling myself that the faster I go, the sooner I can get my sore ass off of the road bike and on to the mountain bike, and I get to drive my super-sweet convertible to the trails. Still, no speed gains.

Maybe it's time to get some new bikes. I'm riding 1990's tech, because I'm cheap. I don't want to spend $1000 bucks on two bikes when $1000 will get me new Weber carburetors. I think I need the carbs more than the bikes.

Until one breaks. Then all bets are off.

Anyway. I think I like fixing them more than I like riding them.




Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home