Go to content Go to navigation Go to search

RIP Robert Pirsig and a late "tuck you" to Earth Day

4/25/2017

First things first. As much as they deny it now, back in the day, the jackasses who decided to step thousands of years into the past and worship nature Gods picked this asshole to be their Dr facto spokesman. When you spend your time dreaming of the extinction of the human race, what's one hippy chick, more or less?

Remember folks, I'm an environmentalist. I hate litter and pollution. But not at the expense of people. So give a hoot, don't pollute, but also don't murder your girlfriend and go into hiding and mooch off of gullible and stupid rock stars and artists for twenty years. It's a bad look.

And speaking of nuts, Robert Pirsig died. He wrote about going nuts in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Sort of. He had a schizophrenic break as a young man and wrote this book, I think, to make some sense out of it. There really is no sense to be made, and the book depressed me when I read it.

I wonder if there's some kind of genetic incompatibility between western people and eastern thought that can give rise to serious mental illness? Maybe it's the meditation or intense concentration it takes to really understand eastern thinking. I don't know, but I once had the idea that a civilization based on reason and experimentation (the idea that you can understand nature by putting smaller and smaller pieces of it into a box and observing it to understand how it works), didn't jive well with meditation without action. At any rate, it seems that occidentals who get deep into eastern philosophy go nuts at a higher rate. Or at least that's how it seems to me, but it may be a personality thing, at any rate, I threw away my copy of the Bhagavad Gita, lost my copy of the Vedas and didn't like this book. RIP Robert.



Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home